Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Blind Date #1: Date 2

We met at a local pub for drinks after work exactly two weeks after our first date. I slid into the corner seat and he faced me as we caught up on what’s been going on in our lives- - I had been on vacation, he had been traveling extensively for work. We ordered our first drinks and visited. An hour had passed, and we ordered second drinks. At this point I was ready to go home but halfway through our drinks he asked if I wanted to get something to eat. I didn’t, but I’m really bad at ending a date early, so I said yes.

I had been to this place a few weeks before so I knew exactly what I wanted off of the menu. He browsed for a few minutes, the waitress came over, he couldn’t decide so he asked for a few more minutes. The waitress came back, he still couldn’t decide…you get the picture. Twenty minutes later he was ready to order. I placed my order first and said, “I’ll have the apple, bacon, chicken salad with the maple vinaigrette dressing, chopped please” the waitress looks at him and he says, “I’ll have the exact same thing.”

(((((crickets chirp))))))

WHAT?!? The EXACT same thing as me?!? Is it just me? Or is that REALLY WEIRD? I mean, it’s not like I ordered a hamburger and he wanted one too, or wings, or SOMETHING. An apple, bacon, chicken salad CHOPPED and he got the SAME THING.

Not to mention, at the end of the date, he let me split the bill- - for the second time. I’m all about paying your own way on dates, etc, etc but the GESTURE of offering to pay would have been nice. This, of course, is after our first date when the check came I offered to pay half and he said, “Well, if you insist.” Um, I did NOT insist. I OFFERED and (truthfully) expected the answer to be no. He asked me out…isn’t that how it works? I know some of you will say if I really don’t care then I SHOULDN’T CARE and I shouldn’t offer if I REALLY don’t mind, but… I was just trying to be nice!


That was the Thursday before vacation. I went on Blind Date #2 the next day (Friday) and had a lot of fun. We’ve seen each other twice more since then, so… we’ll see what happens. It’s going slow but that’s what I need/want right now anyway.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger hot potato said...

that is weird that he got the same thing. maybe he wasn't hungry either, just wanted to keep the evening going....

sounds like you're keeping him around so he can't be that bad! good luck.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

I had a blind date where I knew my glass of wine was RIDIC ($18). So when the bill came, I insisted I wanted to cover my share since it was insanelt priced. Except his was the same (laughing) making the tab pre-tip $39 and change. I toss down my checkcard and he pulls out a billfold.

"I don't have anything smaller than a twenty," he said.

"Uh huh," I answered monotonely unsure when a twenty became a big bill.

"So are you okay if I just put that down?"

As in either (a) not tip the servere or (b) leave me to cover the entire tip. Really, male readers pay attention: if you are this cheap, you will NEVER GET LAID.

As for ordering the same specific salad, feh. It actually sounds sorta good.

1:54 PM  
Blogger workinthatpreppy said...

he really was digging you...

9:18 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I don't think I've commented before but I've read your blog for a long time. I think it's great that you are able to date after just getting out of a relationship (which by the way you sound MUCH too good for him!) I'm single and have been for over 3 years... so I wonder, where do you find all these dates? Through people you know?

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X not happy w/u

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home