Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Day in the Life

The past twenty-four hours have been some of the most awesome I’ve had in a while. Best friend D and I had to take the Praxis II (a CT/VT teacher certification test) this morning but we had a half day at school yesterday so we decided that we could take advantage of the early afternoon and head out for happy hour while still getting home at a reasonable time to rest for the test.


That’s me laughing in yesterday’s naive face.

We should have known better.

It started out innocently enough with one beer in an hour, a cheese board from Ginger Man and some perusal of the testing materials.

Then we ordered another beer.

Then we started dialing our friends.

Then we ordered a pizza.

Then one of our friends met us out.

Then we ordered another beer.

And another.

And sweet potato fries.

And a pulled chicken quesadilla.

And another beer.

Do you see where this is going?

Next thing I know we’re at the loft, wearing matching black and white fedoras we borrowed from two guys we met at the bar, DJ headphones on setting up an awesome playlist, and running the dance floor.

It’s an exhausting life we lead.

We made it home around midnight just in time to brush my teeth, drunk dial a few (11) people and lay down for the 5:45am alarm to go off.

Remember that test we had this morning?

Yea…we had to be there at 7:30am. Yikes.

You know that I am completely OCD so we arrived thirty minutes early and got situated in our room.

We’ve taken three tests in New York for teaching certification and the difference between these tests were incredible. New York is like a well-oiled machine who doesn’t give a F*ck WHO YOU ARE. They yell at you, treat you like idiots (to be fair, it’s mostly warranted- - you should SEE the people there), and then spit you out like last night’s beer you drank by mistake.

Connecticut is all sunshine and rainbows but completely unmanageable because of the lack of organization and incompetent proctors. It took the women in charge FIFTY-THREE minutes to hand out the tests and sign us in.

I wish I was kidding.

So, because Connecticut is sunshine and rainbows (and madly infuriating) D and I were assigned to the same room where we could choose our own seats. OUR OWN SEATS! And they requested that we sit near each other! The proctor hands us our exams and we look down to start reading- - there in a BOLD BOX is the text, “Calculators are permitted for the math section of this exam.”


We had not been notified that calculators were allowed. Typically NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES ARE PERMITTED.


I asked the proctor if she had an extra calculator.

No luck.

So? We spent the next sixty minutes feverishly computing math by HAND. Seriously. I was doing long division in the margins.

When those unbearable 120 minutes were over we were STARVING so we headed to a local diner, then to my apartment so I could regroup. Then? We headed to Greenwich to see the Tall Ships.

I’ve been looking forward to seeing the Tall Ships all week. I love the water, I love boats, I love special events like this. We I had originally asked D if she wanted to come with me she responded, “Tall Ships? I don’t know what that is.”

She can give me a hard time all she wants for never having been on a sailboat but at least I know what the damn TALL SHIPS are!

Turns out part of the Tall Ships event is a fair complete with games, rides and fried dough. D suggested that we go on one.

I am a (semi) risk taker and have always loved rides. However, I have not actually BEEN on a ride? Well, I don’t think since high school honestly. Let me tell you, that ride was like jumping off a cliff.




I’m NOT kidding. We were the only two on the ride except for two ten year old boys. We laughed and screamed the ENTIRE time. I had to close my eyes and I couldn’t even control the noises that were coming out of my mouth. “Whoooooeeeeeee!” “Eeeeeeee.” At one point D turned to me and said, “WHAT are you SAYING?!!?”

I have no idea.

I felt like a rockstar.

We were laughing so hard by the time the ride ended we had tears streaming down our cheeks. It wasn’t that anything was THAT particularly funny, it was the ride. We had made it.

Then, we hopped down out of our chair.

I felt like I had been at sea for seven days; my legs were wobbly, my head was spinning and I couldn’t walk in a straight line. We sat down to rest on a bench overlooking the harbor and we soaked up the rays for an hour.

It was incredible.

It’s days (nights) like this that are going to make it hard to pack up and leave Connecticut. I’m just glad I’ve still got a few memories left to make.

(on a side note I drunkenly gave some guy my number at the bar last night. No, I’ll never learn. And he ACTUALLY CALLED ME TODAY. I’m not interested but this is the FIRST time that I’ve been here that a guy has ACTUALLY called after I’ve given them my number.)

Labels: , ,


Blogger K.S. Anthony said...

"Tout est dangereuse et tout est necessaire."--Voltaire.

Ok, so...what are the Tall Ships?

1:36 AM  
Blogger P in VT said...

Check it out!

9:21 AM  
Blogger K.S. Anthony said... actually refers to a tall ship. Figures. I thought that might be the case, but...anyway, thanks.

My g-g grandfather and my g-g-g grandfather were both sailors/whalers. I've always meant to go look at the old Whaling Barques in MA but still haven't gotten around to it...

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home