Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Soul Mate vs Mate

I've always been a hopeless romantic. Not so much in that I thought Prince Charming would swoop through town on a white horse, throw me on the back, and gallop me off into the sunset... more like, the man of my dreams would find me when I wasn't even looking, sweep me off of my feet, and the rest? Would be history.

See the difference?

The funny thing is, I can only define "man of my dreams" broadly. I'd like to think that this will increase my chances of actually finding someone but I also think it might send me in directions that aren't always the best. My friend D would agree with this whole heartedly. She feels that there are certain guys I'm willing to entertain the thought of dating that I should automatically say no to.

For me, there really is no automatic "No".

And, if I'm going to be honest, I can picture myself marrying *many* of the guys in my life right now. How ridiculous is that? I'm PRETTY convinced that I haven't yet met the person I will spend the rest of my life yet, BUT... if I HAD to marry someone I've met- - I would be okay with that.

Is that crazy?

I know some people believe in soul mates and maybe, in certain instances, that's true. Like the two people who accidentally bump into each other at a coffee shop and then end up married the next month, or the couple who gave up on love individually until they were both doing laundry at 9pm on a Friday night then lived happily ever after.

For me though- - I think you just find a mate. Someone who is at the same place in time that you are, who wants the same things, who you can love, who you can live with.

I just happen to be compatible with a lot of people.

Did I REALLY just type that?!?!?

My best friends and sisters (and ex-boyfriends) may say that I am NOT. That I am actually, generally INCOMPATIBLE, but I don't think that's true. When I think of the guys that I've dated recently and not-so-recently I can see a life with them. It wouldn't be perfect, but what relationship is?

Although, I have to admit each time I date someone I learn a little bit more about myself and what I want out of a relationship which, I GUESS means, I'm not doing this whole thing for NOTHING.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home