Saturday, April 17, 2010

Miles to go Before I Sleep


Today I had my longest run to date- - 20 miles. I know! I’m sitting on the couch now and I ache and it’s a little hard to go down the stairs, but overall? I feel pretty fantastic. If I had any doubt about my ability to actually do this- - to run 26.2 miles- - I think I can safely say it’s quelled. This was probably my slowest run yet (roughly 9 min/mile) but I have to expect that as the distances increase my time will decrease.

That IS how it works, RIGHT?!?

I wish I there was someway I could record my stream of thought while I’m out running because I’m never sure exactly how I get to certain inner monologues and honestly, it’s kind of fascinating. I was running for 2 hours and 45 minutes today.

PLENTY of time to cover a WHOLE LOT of topics in my head.

What I like the most though is when I’m so absorbed in thought that I don’t think about the act of running- - putting one foot in front of the other, how my right knee pulsates every time I step, how my outer foot bones and big left toe ache or how I’d give ANYTHING to trade places with the windsurfers in the water.

That’s definitely one thing I thought about today. As I rounded the corner and the beach came into full view I saw four people standing erect on top of the water, pulling on the strings of their sail to catch the best wind. At that moment, there was nothing I wanted more than to give my body to the wind, to let it take me wherever it wanted, to be weightless for a moment.

Instead, I took a deep breath of salt air, relished in the beauty of the ocean and the area that I live, and put one foot, once again, in front of the other.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous K.S.Anthony said...

Perfect. Reading posts like this makes me want to

1) go for a run

2) write.

Great post.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home