Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Best Christmas Present Ever

I can't believe it's already January 13th and I'm just getting to a recap of Christmas. I guess that's what happens when I go into hibernation for the two week holiday. I may share all of my gifts (or at least my favorites) with you here but there was one gift that I got for Christmas that was by far my favorite.

Growing up, my mom was always baking/cooking. She's not one to try a new recipe every week, month or even year. She sticks with what she knows, what we like, and in most cases, the tried and true recipes from her mother. From mashed potatoes, crepes, chocolate chip cookies and chili we've grown up with the same versions of each and somehow, they just never taste as good when someone else makes them.

In short? My sisters and I are totally attached to the kitchen workings of our mother.

When my mom's mother died my aunt got all of her recipe cards so my mom just copied them as she needed them and has acquired quite the collection of recipes- - all in her writing. My sisters and I are always "claiming" what we want when our parents die (totally morbid, I know) and while I would have loved to have the recipes in my mother's handwriting we all kind of assumed that Sister #2 would get them because, well... she actually cooks and bakes.

My parents know that we joke about this stuff all of the time and so, this year for Christmas, my mom bought us each a recipe binder and started to hand write each recipe she has for all of our books. The books are not finished, yet, but when they are all four of us will have all of our favorite recipes, from our mom, in her handwriting.

This gift was not on my list, but I can't think of anything I would have rather received.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home