Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Anniversary

I like to write poems for invitations, it seems more fun and gets everyone excited about the event coming up. I always write one for our Maine Reunion Party (when we get together with the families we vacation with in the summer at Christmas time), for our 4th of July party, and for our Christmas party. They're never very fancy and are pretty simple rhymes but sometimes I put them to a "tune". You know, like, sing this poem to the tune of Deck the Halls?
"Deck the house with wine and beer,
Falalalala, lalalala
Maine Reunion time is here,
Falalalala, lalalala..."
I wasn't sure that I was going to be able to come up with anything quickley for my parent's anniversary but I worked on it yesterday morning and it turned out okay... I thought I would share it with all of you- - call me crazy. :)

Their wedding song was Could I Have This Dance by Anne Murray so I tried to incorporate it into the poem.

A 25th Anniversary


On this day in ‘82
M_____ and A_____ said “I do”
And asked each other, as husband and wife
“Could I have this dance for the rest of my life?”

Hand in hand they solemnly swore
To stand by each other richer or poorer
For standing alone they would progress
But together they knew they would find success

They set out that day for their life together
To achieve their dreams for worse or better
But their youthful optimism could never foresee
How they’d branch the family tree

It was not always easy, four girls in seven years,
And at times surely brought them to tears,
Tears of triumph and tears of defeat,
But with the family they’ve created their life is complete

But what would life be without family and friends
Who have seen them together beginning to end
In 25 years their accomplishments aren’t small
And we’d love for you to come celebrate them all

On June 23rd at ?:00pm we will be
At _____Main Street in _________
Your friendship and support is enough to get them through
The next twenty-five years, so no gifts please, just YOU

Please keep this quiet as it’s a surprise
And we’d hate to our parents to have to lie (:))
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to call
M____ at 555.555.5555 any time at all

When they’re together, it feels so right
They’ll be dancing this dance for the rest of their lives

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger SLC said...

That is an AWESOME poem/invitation!! Very creative.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home