Thursday, May 01, 2008

May Day

Happy May everyone! We did see snow flurries yesterday, but today is looking a little better...here's so a WARM, SUNNY SPRING!

I had a tennis match last night and the assistant coach of the opposing team tried to start a fight with me. Not a physical fight, obviously... but she was super-annoying and CONDESCENDING. That's my biggest pet peeve, I may not LOOK old enough to be a head coach but, I am. And a pretty darn good one at that. And quite frankly, I was RIGHT! (Obviously.)

The issue was that her player (who was also her daughter) made some REALLY bad calls (I don't get too stressed out about this because- - it happens- - you've gotta let the girls work it out) when she started losing the second set.

She lost the second set (making it 1-1), and my player (who is also my sister) wanted to play a 10 point tiebreaker instead of a full third set. The match was already decided (they KILLED us) so that substitution is permitted. And, it was freezing and snowing so I was thinking...the sooner we get out of there the better.

Well, a tiebreaker was unacceptable and they wanted to play out the third set. Fine, not a huge deal. Then their player (the daughter) was adament that the ball hadn't bounced twice on her side when it had, so my player (the sister...) asked for a line judge. When a player (from either team) asks for a line judge, line judges (one from each team) are sent out regardless of whether the other player wants one. Their assistant coach lost it.

So to the super-annoying coach of that ridiculous team:

Apologizing after the fact because, "It was very obvious that I was frustrating you" is NOT an acceptable apology. I walked away from you because the issue was over. Walking over to me three times after that, just to see if you can get on my nerves is rude. And guess what? I won't let you know you're bothering me so it's a very unsatisfying endeavor try as you might. Please don't EVER accuse me of trying to "get into" your player's head. She did that ALL on her own and I have enough to think and worry about without trying to sabotage a 17 year old's tennis match. Have a little common sense. And, Really? Lady? I've got bigger fish to fry than a 50 year old mother of three. Please. And don't think that winning that match 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 was anything less than COMPLETELY gratifying. Bet you're REALLY glad you insisted on that third set.

Whoever complains about soccer moms has obviously not met a tennis-mom. Oh, they're similar to soccer moms...but they've got pleated skirts, botox, have perfected the art of calling you an incompetent imbecile while smiling and have enough "experience" from playing at the "club" to be high school tennis experts. Yea... soccer moms RUN from tennis moms.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home