Friday, May 02, 2008

More Tennis Drama

Will it ever end? They don't PAY me enough money to deal with this some days...

Story time again, I hope you guys are ready.

High school tennis in Vermont allows for 9 players to play. 5 singles players and 4 doubles players. We have 14 girls on the team and 10 girls who can be competitive in matches which creates a little bit of a problem so I've been trying to rotate those last couple into matches. It's been pretty easy so far because our first match someone was missing so #10 got in, our second match someone else was missing so #10 got in again. Well, #10 was in the line-up again for our third match but, she had an appointment (that she didn't let me know about) and drove herself to the match. This. is. not. allowed. For whatever liability reasons the students MUST leave the high school on the bus then can leave the match with parental persmisssion.

So, when she showed up at 3:40 for a 3:30 start time in her school clothes I had to tell her, sorry, you're not playing today. She acted very surprised (I'm not sure why...I give them all the rules at our first meeting) and stalked to her car. She came back 3o minutes later, sobbing, claiming a family emergency had come up and she must leave. Immediately.

She was NOT in the line-up for yesterday (she knew this since last Friday) but came to the match in her uniform and warmed up with the team which was FINE because, again 9 players... that 9th player needed someone to warm up with and she would have played in the exhibition match. When we read the line-up and she was not in it she was again, upset and walked away. (This is what I can't figure out... she KNEW she wasn't playing Did she think that I was going to make it up to her the next day because she broke the school policy?)

So, the match starts and I'm watching a doubles team when she walks over to me, uniform in hand, and goes,
"Yea, M? After today, I'm done. And if you have a problem with it, you can call my Dad. I just got off the phone with him."

I asked her if she was sure and she said yes. Okay, fine. (Really I'm thinking, CALL YOUR DAD?!? IF I HAVE A PROBLEM? CALL YOUR DAD?!?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? IF YOU HAVE PROBLEM YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CALL ME!!!!! I'M NOT CALLING YOUR DAD!)

So... twently minutes later a jeep pulls up and she gets in and leaves. Without telling me.

So she quits without even trying to have a conversation with me about why she is upset and what she would like to see. High school girls...I don't remember being this dramatic.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Paige Jennifer said...

Just don't do what my jackass high school tennis coach did. Which was to spend every fucking practice giving a private lesson to your favorite player. Yeah, I know it's more fun to work with someone who doesn't run around her backhand or get hit on the head with a bad serve toss. But you know what? I wasn't trying any less than she was.

Oh. My. God. I totally needed to get that off my chest. Nothing like bottled up anger that's been stewing since 1990.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home