Sunday, May 23, 2010

Jersey

My friend, S, called Thursday afternoon and asked if I would join him at his boss' wife's 50th birthday party on Saturday night. The party was across the Hudson in Jersey and only two people were invited from work so he was hoping to have a built-in someone to hang with. Me.

I called him Saturday afternoon to check in on timing and what I should wear. His response? "Totally casual. I'm wearing khakis and a button down." Okay, hmmm... I debated wearing a dress/skirt but decided that I didn't want to be over the top. It was cooling off and the party was around 6pm so I didn't want to look to daytime or too night-ish. I decided on black capris and a dressy printed top.

I had almost reached the UWS when I got a text from him, "Hey! Looks like we're leaving a little later for the party than I thought. Gonna head out around 8pm. We'll grab drinks here before we go."

Perfect!

I get to his apartment, sit down on the couch with a beer and see an invitation sitting on the coffee table. "PAR-TAY" No. Really.

I picked it up and started reading it. It was for the birthday party we were about to attend. It was being held at a restaurant and said, "Party starts at 8! Join us for dinner, drinks and lots of dancing!"

"Uhhhh, S? You didn't tell me this party was at a restaurant...I thought it was at their house!"

Him, "at a restaurant?!? WHAT!?"

Me: "Oh my gosh! Dinner and DANCING?!? I should have worn a dress! I can't believe you didn't tell me this!"

Him: "You look fine! I'm wearing khakis and a linen shirt. Really, you're fine!"

Me: "S!"

I don't know why guys don't understand this stuff!

We arrived at the party and it was like walking into an episode of Real Housewives: New Jersey. Everyone was dressed TO THE NINES. Seriously, this party was amazing. Drinks were flowing, appetizers were being served and the dance floor was hopping.

We were very late, but still hadn't missed dinner, but everyone was about two hours ahead of us intoxication-wise which kept it, VERY interesting.

The best part of the night was when the birthday girl's 18 year old daughter stood up, with the mic, and gave a speech.

"Mom. You know we love you so much. Thank you for everything you do, for raising two great kids who you love and for teaching me what's important: never wearing sweatpants and never leaving the house without a blow out. You're the best. KISSES!"

Really.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home